Venue: Independent Chapel - Earl Shilton United Reformed Church. View directions
Contact: Rebecca Owen Democratic Services Officer
To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 21 November 2018.
It was moved by Councillor Morrell, seconded by Councillor Surtees and
RESOLVED – the minutes of the meeting held on 21 November be confirmed and signed by the chairman.
Declarations of interest
To receive verbally from Members any disclosures which they are required to make in accordance with the Council’s code of conduct or in pursuance of Section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992. This is in addition to the need for such disclosure to be also given when the relevant matter is reached on the agenda.
No interests were declared at this stage.
To present the Private Sector Housing Assistance Policy for approval.
The Executive gave consideration to a report which recommended adoption of the Private Sector Housing Assistance policy. It was noted that the policy targeted households on a low income or those that were vulnerable for the purpose of improving living conditions. In response to questions from members, the following points were noted:
· Referrals came via the Lightbulb project, housing MOTs, health visitors, social services, the first contact referral scheme and also self-referral
· The current policy provided more assistance to those on benefits, but the issues experienced by high earning families with high outgoings had increased and this policy would therefore provide support to them too
· A lot of work had been undertaken across the county to set the income limits to qualify for assistance
· Risk and vulnerability would be considered in assessing applications, in addition to need and income
· With the exception of disabled facilities grants, the policy was generally aimed at owner occupiers. It was suggested that this could be made clearer in the policy.
It was moved by Councillor Ladkin, seconded by Councillor Morrell and
(i) The Private Sector Housing Assistance policy be adopted;
(ii) Authority be delegated to the Executive member for Housing and Community Safety and the Director (Community Services) to make operational changes to the policy.