To seek approval of the Economic Regeneration Strategy 2021-2025.
This report was considered by the Scrutiny Commission at its meeting on 25 March 2021. An extract from the minutes of that meeting is attached.
Consideration was given to the Economic Regeneration Strategy 2021-2025. Members welcomed the strategy and the climate change aspect within it. It was moved by Councillor Bray, seconded by Councillor Bill and
RESOLVED – the Economic Regeneration Strategy 2021-2025 be approved.
To update members on the new Economic Regeneration Strategy.
Consideration was given to the Economic Regeneration Strategy 2021-2025 which had been through a period of consultation. It was noted that the strategy followed on from the previous edition which expired in 2020. The following points were noted:
· Responses to the consultation from businesses were included in the document
· The document followed the themes of the corporate plan and visions associated with those themes
· The action plan for the final year of the previous strategy was included.
During discussion, the following points were raised:
· An action plan would be created from the strategy once the strategy had been adopted
· The reference to young people in relation to skills and economy was welcomed
· The pandemic had had an impact on residents and activities would take place to support people and also the subsequent impact on businesses in the borough
· The document needed to be updated to reflect the fact that the UK had left the single market
· Concern about the amount of logistics developments as communities were suffering but not necessarily benefitting from the jobs created.
A member expressed concern about the sustainability of the town centre and in response it was noted that over 80% of businesses in Hinckley were independent and it was evident from the banking crisis and more recently that these had fared better in difficult economic climates. It was also noted that the Heritage Action Zone had secured investment for the town centre.
It was suggested that representatives from the logistics sector be invited to a future meeting to provide evidence relating to employment.
RESOLVED – the report be endorsed.