Venue: De Montfort Suite, Hinckley Hub. View directions
Apologies and substitutions
Apologies for absence were submitted on behalf of Councillors Breckon, Brown, Clifford, Denney and Wolfe for Blaby District Council, and Councillor Morrell from Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council, with Councillor R Allen substituting.
Declarations of interest
To receive verbally from members any disclosures which they are required to make in accordance with the Council’s code of conduct or in pursuance of Section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992. This is in addition to the need for such disclosure to be also given when the relevant matter is reached on the agenda.
No interests were declared.
Blaby and Hinckley & Bosworth Community Safety Partnership update PDF 567 KB
The joint committee was provided with an update on the community safety strategy, external funding to support the community safety partnership, areas of focus, successful initiatives, serious violence prevention, performance of the partnership, crime, anti-social behaviour and fire statistics, and current challenges. Representatives of Leicestershire Fire & Rescue and East Midlands Ambulance Service were in attendance to answer questions. During discussion and in response to questions, the following points were raised:
· Prevention work was a priority
· The serious violence duty would soon be in force
· It was difficult to get uptake in work with perpetrators
· The street pastors in Hinckley were missed as local people had responded well to them, but they still operated in Earl Shilton
· Perception of crime was still an issue, and prevention campaigns often led to an assumption of increased crime
· Speeding was an issue in rural areas and whilst areas of concern could be monitored, accident sites were prioritised
· Irresponsible parking was a problem in some villages, particularly near schools and shops
· Behaviour had changed since the coronavirus pandemic, perhaps due to more people being at home, and as a result neighbour complaints and issues had increased.
Officers and representatives of the emergency services were thanked for their attendance and input.